Viewers

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Growing Slipper Orchids - Part 2

Sharing of my experience in growing Slipper Orchids (Paphiopedilum)

Best Potting Mix?
What will be the best potting mix? Is there one? I don't know.. I used to mix different type of potting material together, regardless which one to be more or less. I have to say that, nope! I was not that successful compare to those days in Hammond, and the paphs were not doing great here in SG when I brought some back. But now almost all of my paphs are very happy with the new potting mix I've prepared for them. (at least seem to me they are happier now)

What potting materials do we need for slipper orchids?

perlite
pumice
charcoal
fern root
leca
etc etc...

Here, I am going to share my (secret) ingredient, one of the slipper orchids' best friends, I am not saying this potting mix is the best in town, but it works for my slipper orchids!

Slipper orchids' recipe(potting mix) Just as simple as ABC for me, 60% to 70% of NZ bark and 30% to 40% of perlite, pumice, fern root, leca and etc etc...

So far, this ingredient works very well for all my slipper orchids, I guess it has something to do with the growing environment that they are in now (mainly out-door) and I can see how established their root are in less than 6months after potting them.

Light

I am not a very technical person, so don't ask me how many foot-candles or how many watts required.

As a general rule, morning sun is alright till about 11 noon hours, preferably to let them  stay in location where they receive indirect sun light or filtered light.

Direct sun will burn their leaves, so, please do not leave paphs directly under the sun for long hours!

Watering

How often do you need to water them? when is the best time to water them? Million dollar questions!

I have always been practicing in watering them 2 to 3 times a week, depending on the weather condition. Water 3 times a week if the weather is dry and hot, if it's wet and windy condition, twice a week. If rainy season? no need to water! ha!

Much as possible to water them in the morning, coz should there be any water retains in the crown, it will dry up during the day. If you water in the evening, do try to ensure that water do not stay inside the crown, as that may result in crown rot.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment