Viewers

Monday, December 14, 2009

Beginner's paph growing disaster!!! (Editor's story)

I was gazing at the paph spicerianium given to me by BGCI (Botanic Garden Conservation International). "What's the name of this plant? Looks so different...first time seeing a green flower!!" Very quickly I brushed it off and brought the plant back as a form of respect to the Baroness. It was quite a tough plant considering it had survived for almost a year under my hands with vicious attacks by spidermite! I tried to give it TLC (tender loving care) and I watered it DAILY...Yes, DAILY! A big big taboo to paph's growth.
It was by chance that I got to know that Don's a grower of paph for many years and decided that this given paph deserves better and passed it to him to salvage its fate. Only then did I know the paph's named spicerianium and is a species. However there is one lesson that I've learnt from this episode that is "never never give up"! I am a self-acclaimed tough cookie and decided to pick up paph knowledge and the skills of growing them. Currently I have 2 concolors and 1 bellatulum.

I'm glad I did not give up on paphs just as spicerianium did not give up and die in my hands. That pot of paph spicerianium under Don's care is nick named tough cookie...and is currently growing well.



1 comment:

  1. Wow.... I didn't know this is such a BIG hobby of yours...... You're so so so into it....

    Jessy

    ReplyDelete