Viewers

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Paphiopedilum rothschildianum - World's most expensive paph? (www.richtimes.com/2009)


Paphiopedilum rothschildianum is considered to be the aristocrat of the paphiopedilums at a cost of USD $5000 per stem. Is highly prized because of its rarity - apparently it can take as long as 15 years to bloom from seedling and is a wild species. This price tag has been claimed as the most expensive for any orchids in the world though there are information that differs.


Given a choice of USD $5000 to either buy a stem of paph Rothschild or a basic Hermès Birkin that is approximately USD $5000, which will you choose? I'll choose Hermès Birkin. Not only because the production of one bag takes only 48 hours, it has a relatively short waiting list of 2 years (compared to the paph) and I can tote it around at anytime, anywhere with no fear of the bag wilting on me. Perhaps I can carry it off as well as Victoria Beckham (see above pix of VB carrying a ostrich purple birkin). I must admit I'm such a victim to fashion!

-Editor (:p with a tongue in cheek expression!)

No comments:

Post a Comment