Viewers

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Editor's Love - Belle Luxe







Paph Belle Luxe (exul x bellatulum)

Editor: Don bought this paph from Thailand mid 2008 and I must admit that this is the paph that ignited my strong interest in wanting to acquire more knowledge on paphiopedilums and to grow them. I must admit that it was like a "Love at First Sight" due to the fact that my initial reason for liking this hybrid was merely skin deep - mainly due to its pinkish appearance after seeing the mere picture of it on Facebook (Needless to mention, you would have guessed my favorite color by now).

Perhaps an analogy that I could think of in illustrating my process of getting to know Paph Belle Luxe and eventually other paphiopedilums is very much akin to getting to know your "Love at First Sight"! Naturally when you are attracted to a person's physical appearance, you would want to progress by getting to know more of him/her and understand his/her background, family, friends, personality, likes, dislikes and the list goes on. This is the case for Belle Luxe. I began to find out more of its family (exul & bellatulum), their various living conditions, paph species, paphs hybrids and etc.

For 2 full weeks I cannot really fathom why its shape & color differs vastly from its parents until Don confirmed my thoughts in an earlier email that this hybrid bears little resemblance to its parents. The display of individuality & boldness in this hybrid is evident in its strong "arm-like" petals and yet at the same time it exudes an aura of femininity with its pinkish tone plus a sense of cheekiness (look at those freckles on its dorsal)! It may not be an expensive hybrid but it certainly has the great finesse as one.

Perhaps you may wonder how a tiny plant can stir so much emotion within me.

Just remember: "The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself" Henry Miller.




PS: Belle Luxe awarded Best Paph Hybrid, 01 Nov 2009 OSSEA Monthly Table Meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment